Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tonight is the night, when two become one.

"With another painfully swift and reducing intuition it realized it was not just an I, but a male I."

This quotation comes from a passage on page 4 of Mantissa. I talked about it a little bit in my presentation, so sorry if this is repetitive, but I feel like there is so much that can be said about this one sentance. First of all what we went over in class, that this is Lacan's mirror stage and it shows the moment of Miles Green's self recognition. This awareness is a theme throughout the book because the narration is very self aware, there are constant remarks about how this is a novel and there are references to page numbers as well. This also shows a birth which could possibly be seen as a reaction to the death of the author, because now he is putting himself inside the text to assert his power.
Another key part of this sentance is the use of the word "reducing". Reducing implies the castration Lacan believes we go through when we are entering the symbollic stage he is reducing any sense of reality he might have by confining himself as a male I, using the confines of language. Speaking of language the words "male I" can also be read as Male eye or a male gaze.

Other than that, I don't know about Mantissa. It confusses me a lot. and not in the way that "I don't get it" but i makes me confused about how I look at it or how I may feel about theory while reading it. On one hand it is written in such a playful tone that I can easily brush it aside and continue just to think however I like about theory. On the other hand it makes me question whether or not the author is really dead... something I have started to believe - or at least believe is a good tool for analyzing literature. Because now that the narrator is an author and the author is clearly the narrator, how can I seperate the two???

1 comment:

barrowme said...

1. A Spice Girls reference, HA!!!, that is the funniest thing I have read in months. I thought the spice was gone my friend…. I think you just brought it back.
2. I think you really get the mirror stage; I think by now well all get it, which is nice considering the impossible-ish-ness of Lacan.
3. I too noticed the theme or awareness. However, is Miles really aware? I mean I know he is aware of himself through the reference to Lacan’s mirror stage, but I cannot help but wonder if his writers block is also a metaphor for lacking self-awareness and or authorship. I think we could possibly relate this unawareness to the death of the author. I may be out on a limb here and reading too deeply into Fowles’ Mantissa, but I think there is some merit in relating awareness, the death of the author, and Miles. Is Miles unaware of himself and blocked because he, as an author, is dead??? Any thoughts

Yours truly,
Posh Spice